| User Manual
Problems Previewing in Webbrowsers
Getting VRMLmagic "Preview in ..." to Work
Preview simply attempts to run the specified browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape) with the VRML world file you have created. This action can fail for several reasons, usually it will fail because you don't have a VRMLplugin installed, however it can also fail if you do not have the browser itself installed or if your browser settings are restricting some features. To ensure the correct functioning of the preview system you will need to check/update your system to have both the webbrowser application and the VRMLplugin installed and working correctly. Follow the steps below to identify and rectify the problem.
Missing the Requested Browser ?
Do you have the requested browser on your system ?
If yes, skip to "Missing a VRML Plugin" below, otherwise you'll need to install it. For obvious reasons if you want to preview in Netscape/Explorer you will need to have them installed. Both of these applications are freely available on the web. So if your system doesn't have them it is simple to correct by downloading and installing the required browser application(s) as follows:
- Step 2: Install it (run the Update/Install application you have downloaded)
- Step 3: Now you have the Browser you'll also need to get the VRMLplugin (see below)
Missing a VRML Plugin ?
Do you have a VRMLplugin installed on your system ?
If yes skip to next section, if you don't have a VRML plugin installed then you'll need to get one for preview to work. Luckily this is an easy task as they are freely available on the web, all you need to do is download and install:
- Step 2: Install Plugin (run the installer that you have downloaded and follow steps as outlined)
- Step 3: Now you have the plugin, preview should work, if not take a look at the next section.
You have the Browser & Plugin but it still won't work
This is a more complex problem and could have several causes:
Does the Browser associate .wrl with the Plugin ?
- It may be the case that you need to set the browsers "file helpers" or "plug-in settings" (usually found in the Preferences or Options dialogs) to indicate that you wish the browser to use your VRML plugin when it encounters a VRML World (ie. .wrl file).
Is this a version issue ?
- VRMLmagic attempts to run the applications based on their current executable names (eg. "Netscp" for Netscape). If for some reason (eg. an older version of netscape that uses "Netscape") those names do not match the ones on your system then the preview will fail. This can be fixed by updating your browser to the latest version, see section "Missing the Requested Browser" above.
Is this a Plugin specific issue ?
- Try installing and testing one of the other plugins to see if this is an issue specific to your plugin. Despite there being an overall standard the functionality provided by different plugins varies greatly, so try using one of the bigger and more compliant plugins.
Previewing in Other Browsers
VRMLmagic provides menu items to preview in only Microsofts Internet Explorer and Netscapes Navigator, primarily as they are the two most common browsers in use. However we realize there are numerous other webbrowsers out there.
How do I preview in browser X ?
- VRMLmagic does NOT attempt to use your default browser for any previews. If you use a browser other than (Explorer or Netscape) and wish to preview in that browser the simplest way to do this is to save your world file and use the file system to open the .wrl file with the desired application. Then by keeping the browser up (viewing the file) you simply use the "Refresh/Reload" option in the browser to preview as you make changes.
| User Manual